Best Flashcard Apps 2020: The Ultimate Guide for vocabulary
…don’t get fooled, there is no such thing as the best Flashcard app for all. This guide will give you “the dirt” on Flashcard apps in 2020 in quest to find the best Flashcard app in 2020. Let’s see which one ends up as your favourite.
What is new among Flashcard apps Anki, Memrise, Vocabulary Miner, Quizlet … in 2020? Let’s dive in!
Scrolling through Quora and Google, you can find not only thousands of searches for “the best flashcard app to/for….” but also thousands of opinions on that matter.
Leo, an Italian teacher, shared with us on Instagram that in the world of language apps you have to find YOUR right one and listen to YOUR needs.
Find the right Flashcard app for you. Here is a very simple Flashcard app comparison divided into sections.
Summary of changes in 2020:
- In 2020 there was a very unexpected decision of Duolingo – to disable Tinycards once and for all from 2020 September, 1.
- Quizlet, Memrise, FluentU, Vocabulary Miner have changed their pricing.
- Quizlet has a new algorithm.
- Vocabulary Miner has a new blog and desired the most common 1000 words in French, the most common 1000 words in Spanish, the most common 1000 words in Czech, and the most common 1000 words in Slovak.
Figure out the basics when finding the best Flashcard app for you
Think about what matters to you. Ask yourself the questions below and check the table. Find YOUR match among Anki, Vocabulary Miner, Quizlet, Memrise, TinyCards, Busuu, and FluentU.
Basic questions to ask yourself when choosing the right Flashcard app:
- How much?
- What device do I use (Android, iOS…)?
- How easy and nice is the app to use?
- Can I learn offline in the app?
- What language(s) can I learn in the app?
- Will I be bothered by pop-ups and ads?
2020 Flashcard apps basic comparison
You can check the 2019 Basic comparison of Flashcard apps here.
Am I a gamer or a learner? Learning method and options are important
As for Flashcard apps, their superpower is mainly in the effective spaced-repetition method.
Questions to ask yourself about the fitting learning method:
- Will I remember words in the long term?
- Do I want a simple learning method or more complex games?
- Can I listen to the vocabulary pronunciation?
- Can I mix my learning up by deciding which language do I see first — the one I know or the one I learn?
2020 Flashcard apps and their learning quality comparison
Are games always the best way how to learn? And why some apps do keep it so simple? Read more here.
❓🙋Before we start, join our Facebook group Learn vocabulary supported by Vocabulary Miner to have your questions answered by the community or the team behind Vocabulary Miner and get inspired. We all need it from time to time.
- How easy and fun is it to track my progress in the app?
2019 learning methods comparison is here.
Trust in me or community: What type of vocabulary do I want to learn from?
Questions to ask yourself:
- Do I like to learn from community-made Word lists (other users created these Word lists)?
- Do I want to learn from expert-made Word lists (native speakers or language teachers created these Word lists)?
- Do I want to learn only one language at a time or more?
- Do I want to be told what I should learn next? (Some apps have prescribed lessons you have to follow.)
2020 Flashcard apps and their learning materials comparison
2019 learning materials comparison is here.
Criticism and customer support: What more is to get?
- Do I want to report typos or bad translations in the app and rate Word lists?
- Is the Flashcard app open to criticism by enabling it to report bugs?
- Can you easily import and export words in and out of the app?
2019 extra comparison here.
*available only after downloading a desktop app
Choose the right app for you by comparing all the available information
We tried to provide you with as much information as we have in order to decide on Vocabulary Miner development.
The apps we take into question:
- Anki (Anki is not the same as AnkiApp, which seems to be only a copycat. Check the juicy explanation here.
- Vocabulary Miner – its special yet simple algorithm is described here
- Memrise (Community-created courses are to the anger of some of its users available on Decks.
- TinyCards by Duolingo
You can also have a look at all these Quora threads dealing with the issue for more info and opinions:
Good luck with finding the right app for your needs. We hope you say more every day!
*This is an updated version of the 2019 Ultimate Guide to Find the Best Flashcards Apps for Learning Vocabulary (for you) since several major changes occurred.
Interested in more stories? We practice to #saymore on our Instagram, too.
❓🙋Join our Facebook group Learn vocabulary supported by Vocabulary Miner to have your questions answered by the community or the team behind Vocabulary Miner.
There are several studies that claim that the 1000 most common Spanish words help you understand 75% of common communication. But it is working for other languages, too. 🧐 However, if you do want to read general …Read more
How to teach vocabulary? Reinforce vocabulary with Flashcard app after, during, and before the lesson
The world is shifting so much to online. But we say the world is shifting to apps. And education should not miss this opportunity to use apps to answer the question: How to teach vocabulary? ⌛ If you have just …Read more
You want to learn language with Netflix. Who wouldn't, even more now, when social interaction is luxury or fear? You are among millions of others who want the same! So if you are not learning language with Netflix …Read more