Best Flashcard apps for languages 2021: Simple guide for you
This is a 2021 updated version of the best flashcard apps for languages.
…don’t get fooled, there is no such thing as the best Flashcard app for all.
This guide will give you “the dirt” on the best Flashcard apps for languages in 2021 in the quest to find the best Flashcard app for you. Let’s see which one ends up as your favorite.
What is new among Flashcard apps Anki, Memrise, Vocabulary Miner, Quizlet … in 2021? Let’s dive in!
Scrolling through Quora and Google, you can find not only thousands of searches for “the best flashcard app to/for….” but also thousands of opinions on that matter.
Leo, an Italian teacher, shared with us on Instagram that in the world of language apps you have to find YOUR right one and listen to YOUR needs.
Find the right Flashcard app for you. Here is a very simple Flashcard app comparison divided into sections.
Summary of 2021 changes among best Flashcard apps for languages:
- Quizlet does not support long term learning anymore and even Learn mode changed dramatically … and it angers their users.
- Memrise seems to show full-page adverts and their users recommend the computer version with better deals than apps.
- Vocabulary Miner made a comparison of Anki, Quizlet, and its own spaced repetition algorithm.
Summary of changes in 2020:
- In 2020 there was a very unexpected decision of Duolingo – to disable Tinycards once and for all from 2020 September, 1.
- Quizlet, Memrise, Vocabulary Miner have changed their pricing.
- Quizlet has a new algorithm.
- Vocabulary Miner has a new blog and put together the most common 1000 words in French, the most common 1000 words in Spanish, the most common 1000 words in Czech, and the most common 1000 words in Slovak.
Figure out the basics when finding the best Flashcard app for you
Think about what matters to you. Ask yourself the questions below and check the table. Find YOUR match among Anki, Vocabulary Miner, Quizlet, Memrise.
Basic questions to ask yourself when choosing the right Flashcard app:
- How much does it cost?
- What device do I use (Android, iOS…)?
- How easy and nice is the app to use?
- Can I learn offline in the app?
- What language(s) can I learn in the app?
- Will I be bothered by pop-ups and ads?
2021 best Flashcard apps for languages – basic comparison
You can check the 2019 Basic comparison of Flashcard apps here.
Am I a gamer or a learner? Learning methods and options are important
As for the best Flashcard apps for learning languages, their superpower is mainly in the effective spaced-repetition method.
Surprisingly, Quizlet long term learning feature was removed. In 2021 Quizlet even tinkered with its Learn mode which resulted in angered users again.
Questions to ask yourself about a fitting learning method:
- Do I want to remember words in the long term?
- Do I want a simple learning method or more complex games?
- Can I listen to the vocabulary pronunciation?
- Can I mix my learning up by deciding which language do I see first — the one I know or the one I learn?
2021 Flashcard apps and their learning quality comparison
Are games always the best way how to learn? And why some apps do keep it so simple? Read more here.
- How easy and fun is it to track my progress in the app? This one is a bit outdated, but I try to update it soon.
2019 learning methods comparison is here.
What type of vocabulary do I want to learn?
Questions to ask yourself:
- Do I like to learn from community-made Word lists (other users created these Word lists)?
- Do I want to learn from expert-made Word lists (native speakers or language teachers created these Word lists)?
- Do I want to learn only one language at a time or more?
- Do I want to be told what I should learn next? (Some apps have prescribed lessons you have to follow.)
2021 best Flashcard apps and their learning materials comparison
2019 learning materials comparison is here.
Choose the right app for you by comparing all the available information 🙂
Now let’s see what people say>
(Anki is not the same as AnkiApp, which seems to be only a copycat. Check the juicy explanation here.
You can also have a look at all these Quora threads dealing with the issue for more info and opinions:
Good luck with finding the right app for your needs. We hope you say more every day!
*This is an updated version of the 2019 Ultimate Guide to Find the Best Flashcards Apps for Learning Vocabulary (for you) since several major changes occurred.
Interested in more stories? We practice to #saymore on our Instagram, too.
❓🙋Join our Facebook group Learn vocabulary supported by Vocabulary Miner to have your questions answered by the community or the team behind Vocabulary Miner.
There are several studies that claim that the 1000 most common English words help you understand 75% of common communication. However, there are many ways how to speak the most common vocab in English and we will …Read more
Spaced repetition or long term learning is over the years one of the proven methods of remembering. Cramming and long term learning is not the same. There are not only studies claiming a "nearly threefold improvement …Read more
There are several studies that claim that the 1000 most common Spanish words help you understand 75% of common communication. But it is working for other languages, too. 🧐 However, if you do want to read general …Read more